Sumitra is in a position to guide and enable sustainable livelihood promotion for the community groups by its resource centre and strong membership base of SHGs/Federation. The organisation will progressively work in networks and alliances striving to create synergy and solidarity to take the work forward.
In the coming days we will engage with specific categories of socially excluded poor people and their movements:
- The organisation will keep supporting the issues based campaign on food and nutrition security, drought, livelihood, women and gender empowerment, and women farmers with focus on socially and economically poor people
- Take up drought and livelihood campaign independently and build pressure on government machinery for effective implementation of NREGA/Drought Prone Area Programme and other drought relief packages
- Strengthen SHG/Federation movement towards sustainability and facilitate local resource and need based livelihood promotion and income generating activities. The organisation will collaborate with microfinance agency for catering the local demand of microfinance for socially and economically poor households. The organisation will also supplement financial services to poor households with livelihood and enterprises support services. The organisation will also look forward for social security of the poor community groups by promotion of micro insurance
- The organisation will take up the issues of nutrition security of children, adolescents and women by mobilising nutrition specific schemes and addressing the food security issues
- Finding out new opportunities for strengthening its water, sanitation and hygiene campaign, which was earlier limited to awareness drive and construction of toilet with the support of district administration. The organisation will take up integrated water resource management issues, water-livelihood linkages, links between poverty and water with exclusion and gender perspective. It intends to foster inter sector dialogue at block level and district level with education, health, nutrition and other departments such as forestry
- The organisation will strengthen the governance process by mobilising PRIs members and functionaries and organising transparency exercise under the leadership of community based organisations/women based institutions
- Intensively carry forward the HIV/AIDS awareness drives and empower people living with HIV/AIDS to protect them from violence, freedom from stigma and discrimination
- Strengthening is base of mass based movements for accessing services - health, drinking water, education, livelihood, credit and hold the state accountable for non-accessibility of basic services by the poor and excluded through social audit, public hearing, etc
- Strengthen the GOs-NGOs and public private partnership in newer approach and strategies. The focus will be also given towards building institutional linkages and demanding transparency and accountability with service providers, line department functionaries and administrative forces
- Promotion of girls’ child education and making school functional and enabling children who are presently out of school for social, cultural, economic, and political reasons, to enrol in formal schools and engage in learning
- Strengthen women’s collective to challenge social processes, laws, institutions at the local and district level and linking them with existing women’s movement
- Sumitra will take up the issues of climate change and work towards promotion of climate based livelihood model in the region
The organisation will also work for building the capacities and skills of the associated team members and communities volunteer as strategies for ensuring proper discharge of roles and responsibilities in the interest of poorest and marginalised groups.